Flumes: Channeling Creative Brilliance
Flumes, an annual, online literary journal, is seeking previously unpublished submissions for our Summer 2020 publication. We're accepting fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry and visual art and photography. Please see our specific guidelines for each below.
To familiarize yourself with Flumes, please visit on the Joomag News Stand, where you can find all of our previous issues. The literary and visuals pieces in each issue were selected for their ability to provoke thought and emotional response, as well multiple interpretations.
We’re delighted that our growing contributors list includes new, emerging, and award-winning writers and artists. We hope your work will be next!
Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please notify us if your work is accepted elsewhere. Also, be aware that we use a blind submission process, so read our guidelines carefully.
To peruse the category guidelines or submit work, visit: lehab.submittable.com.
Flumes seeks all genres of previously unpublished, original short fiction, including flash fiction. An excerpt from a longer work is acceptable, if the selection stands on its own.
Send us a story we can’t set down. You figure out how to make that happen.
- Submit as a single .rtf, .doc, .docx, or .odt file.
- To protect anonymity, please be sure that your name and contact information does not appear on your manuscript. If your manuscript contains any identifying information your submission will be disqualified.
- While multiple entries are acceptable, please submit no more than one genre in each entry. In other words, do not bury a flash fiction piece in the midst of a novel excerpt.
- Single submission of 1,000 to 5,000 words
- Use the title as your document title
- Submission may include multiple pieces; however, submission must not exceed more than 1,000 words total
- Submit in a single document, with each piece titled and beginning on a new page
- Use the titles of the included works as your document title
Excerpts from Longer Works
- Single submission, no more than 5,000 words
- Use the title as your document title
Flumes accepts paintings, photography, drawings and print art that translates well to the screen. We are looking for visual pieces that will both complement and contrast with our literary selections. To view previous issues: http://joom.ag/hHdQ.
Visual submissions should be made in JPG format and should translate well to a computer or tablet screen as most readers interact with this journal online. However, we do have subscribers who order print copies in various formats (A4 = 210mm x 297mm & A5 = 148mm x 210mm). To accommodate this, your image must be at least 200 ppi, 300 ppi is preferred.
- Visual art will only be accepted through our Submittable account (lehab.submittable.com). No hard copies of artwork will be accepted to protect the artist's anonymity and the artwork from damage.
- Artists will retain all rights to the original work, as Flumes' goal is to promote artists.
- Please no more than three visual art entries per submission.
- To maintain anonymity, make sure that your name and contact information do not appear in your submission files, if your manuscript includes identifying information your submission will be disqualified.
- Please use the title of your work(s) as the name of the file.
Flumes appreciates poetry that evokes an emotion, recreates a moment, and/or shares an experience. We love poetry that surprises us into tears or laughter, images that offer us a new way of seeing the world, one we will never unsee.
- Submit up to four poems per submission, with a maximum document length of ten pages
- Please title each poem in the file
- Please use the poem title(s) as your document title
- Submit as a .doc, .docx, or .odt file
- To maintain anonymity, please make sure that your name and contact information do not appear on your manuscript. If your manuscript contains identifying information your submission will be disqualified
Flumes is open to all types of creative nonfiction. We are most interested in writing with substance that offers a unique point of view. And we are looking for real life experiences that will thrill, surprise, and engage, while bringing us into your reality.
- Submit entry as a .doc, .docx, or .odt file, unless submitting graphic nonfiction, which you may submit as either .pdf or .jpg.
- Submissions should be between 1,000- 5,000 words.
- We expect that you will make every effort to fact check your writing prior to submission.
- Please use the title of your work as the document title.
- To maintain anonymity, please make sure that your name and contact information do not appear on your manuscript. If your manuscript contains any identifying information your submission will be disqualified.